Jobs with FITV
We are now recruiting for a new Broadcast Journalist!
Falkland Islands Television Limited (FITV) is offering adventurous, self-motivated candidates the unique chance to work for this small but fast developing TV station in the South Atlantic. The Falkland Islands are a British Overseas Territory, 300 miles off the coast of South America. The population of the islands is around 3500 people and the climate is similar to the coast of Northern Scotland.
FITV is the sole local television station in The Falkland Islands and produces a weekly community news programme called “Falklands in Focus”. Alongside our weekly show, we produce a monthly programme called ‘Talking Point’ – an in-depth 30 minute feature that explores key topics and issues in the Falklands. FITV posts regular news updates on our website www.fitv.co.fk and also maintains active social media platforms via Facebook and YouTube.
Working for a national TV station means that you will be covering stories ranging from court news and local politics, to wildlife and historical features, and everything in-between. The beauty of working for a small television station means that successful candidates will have the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of producing a TV programme once a week.
Your responsibilities as a Broadcast Journalist will include reporting, shooting and editing news stories, directing, presenting and producing, scriptwriting, managing social media pages, developing story ideas, networking contacts, making community appearances on behalf of the station, as well as other responsibilities as assigned. The initial contract is for 12 months with a start date of May 2023 and would ideally suit someone who has graduated in the last few years.
• Generating ideas for stories and features
• Attending daily production meetings and pitching ideas to the Station Manager
• Researching and collating evidence to support a story using relevant information sources
• Writing and recording voice overs for news packages
• Creating scripts for the Falklands in Focus news show
• Exercising editorial judgement on the best angle from which to approach a story
• Producing complete packages for broadcast
• Preparing and presenting material for pre-recorded pieces
• Identifying interviewees, preparing interview questions and conducting recorded interviews
• Developing and maintaining local contacts
• Updating the company website and social media platforms
• Understanding and complying with media law and industry codes of conduct
· A degree or equivalent level of training in Broadcast Journalism or TV production
· Must have experience with Adobe Creative Suite including Premiere Pro, After Effects
· Excellent communication skills, computer literate and fluent in English
· Good technical camera skills
· Hold a full, clean UK driving licence or equivalent
· Ideal candidates should be outgoing and armed with curiosity to seek out interesting stories, keeping a small community audience in mind
· Equipped with a sharp news judgement and good organisational and time management skills
· Be proactive and use their initiative to work on their own and as part of a dynamic team
· Be supportive of the team and provide feedback and advice on stories when necessary
· Experience of working to short deadlines and editing news pieces
· An ability to manage time efficiently and prioritise stories
· Proficient at posting content across popular social media platforms such as Facebook and YouTube
· Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
· Be adaptable to a new environment and be enthusiastic to embrace the opportunity to explore the islands history, culture and community
In the first instance please email your CV and covering letter to Hannah Newton by emailing email@example.com before 11th April 2022.