Falkland Islands vs Ynys Mon Football

Falklands 1-5 Ynys Mon

The Falklands produces another encouraging performance despite defeat by an Ynys Mon side who recovered from an early set back. That set back came in the form of terrific free kick from the edge of the penalty area that Andre’s Balladares fired high in to the top right hand corner of the net to put the Falklands 1 up after only 2 mins. The free kick came about by the ever lively Ethan Gilson-Clarke who had skipped a couple of challenges before being brought down unceremoniously by 2 defenders. Being so close, it looked like Balladares may struggle to get it up and down in time, but that didn’t bother him as he drove it round the wall high in to the net.

The early goal rattled Ynys Mon and despite a speculative effort being tipped on to the bar by Peters in the 12th minute, they struggled to exert too much pressure. Peck had to clear the ball off his line for the second game in a row and just after that point you could feel that Ynys Mon were building their way back in to the game. The clever movement of their front three and the accurate passing of their defense, both long and short started to take its toll. A corner from the left hand side was initially cleared, but when it found its way back out to Jones, he crossed for Morris to head in to the corner. 1-1 soon became 2-1 to Ynys Mon when on 27 minutes a quick move down the right hand side saw the ball pulled back to Gregson on the edge of the area, who slammed it home from 18 yards.

Ynys Mon were moving the ball extremely well by this point and regularly switching play, to pull the Falklands out of position. The dangerous Jones made it 3-1 with strike from just inside the Falklands box and then a cross was headed back across goal by Morris and finished low by Reynolds. The Falklands remained under pressure for the rest of the half and Peters pulled off a terrific save from Morris when he was played through by the increasingly influential Walsh.

The second half brought substitute appearances for Budd and Reyes and also a change of shape for the Falklands. Going to 3 at the back they pressed the ball centrally more effectively and also managed to get more support up to Gilson-Clark. Shaun East went down off the ball and had to be replaced by Castro and despite continuous pressure from Ynys Mon, the Falklands held out untill the 74th minute. A short back pass to Peck by Reyes was pounced on by Bently and he managed to get free and finish low in to the corner to complete the scoring.

Another hard working display by the Falklands with enough flashes of quality shown by the likes of Francis, George and Gilson-Clarke to suggest that there are results to be had yet in Guersey. Shetland however will provide another stern test on Tuesday and manager Troyd Bowles will be hoping that some of the injured players from both games will be able to prove their fitness.

Thanks to our lovely roomie Chris Eynon from the Penguin News for his match report.

Share this